UGS Perth Supremacy Over

Michael TraillNarrogin Observer
The 2018 Upper Great Southern squad.
Camera IconThe 2018 Upper Great Southern squad. Credit: Michael Traill

The Upper Great Southern were unable to secure Landmark Country Football Championship glory in Perth last weekend, for the first time since their successful 2010 campaign

A devastating one-point loss to eventual winners South West in Joondalup on Saturday ended the UGS’s aspiration of grand final qualification.

UGS went scoreless in the second half despite leading 3.2 (20) to 1.1 (7) at the half-time break.

South West came from behind to secure their grand final qualification with a 3.3 (21) to 3.2 (20) victory.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


UGS began their campaign on the back foot, losing 4.7 (31) to 7.6 (48) in their opening round to Avon on Friday at Fremantle Oval.

UGS could not make the most of their first-half possession, helping Avon apply scoreboard pressure.

A goal after the half-time siren, and an Avon intercept mark, which led to a major score, in the UGS’s defensive 50 during the opening minutes of the second half proved too much.

UGS followed up strongly in their next match against Great Northern that afternoon, responding to Great Northern’s opening three goals with six unanswered majors of their own.

Katanning’s Kane Shephard, Williams’ Nathan Bravington and Narrogin’s Jordan Heil stood out in the middle, as Katanning pair Josh Bootsma and Jacob Wintle dominated in the forward 50 with three goals each.

They finished the day with a 11.3 (69) to 4.4 (28) win.

Peel handed UGS a 5.4 (34) to 3.6 (24) defeat to end their campaign in Joondalup on Saturday.

Despite the results, some positives came from the weekend.

The youngest in the side, Narrogin’s Nathan Ugle, made his debut for UGS in Landmark, playing alongside former AFL players.

“Very exciting and honouring (debuting), good experience at a different level of football,” he said, adding he would take a lot back home from the experience, both on and off the field.

“Playing with all these boys, (I’ll) take leaves out of their books.”

South West defeated Avon, 9.6 (60) to 3.4 (22), to be crowned division 1 champions.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails