Hawks wilt under Cats blitz & Wickepin fight back

Michael TraillNarrogin Observer
Ryan Fleay looks for options.
Camera IconRyan Fleay looks for options.

Hawks wilt under Cats blitz

Williams made a strong statement in the opening round of the season, thrashing Narrogin at home by 47 points.

The visitors made an early jump on the Cats, quickly gaining a three-goal-to-one advantage off the back of commanding grabs and set-shot conversions from Mason Hill, who finished with four majors. Led by River McNab and Adrian Cinanni, Narrogin won plenty of the ball at the contest but were inaccurate in front of goal, finishing in front at the first break 5.8 (38) to 3.1 (19).

Williams began to supply their forward line with more of the ball in the second term.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


First touch out of the ruck from Brent Hall gave Simon Panizza and Tom Vellios plenty to work with in the middle. Cleaner ball use between the 50m arcs reduced Williams’ deficit at half-time to only three points, trailing 8.2 (50) to 7.11 (53) at the main break.

Skipper Perrin Quartermaine, Jack Walsh and Jack Lambert did their best to stem the flow of Williams clearances in the third quarter but the Cats consistently found uncontested marks in the middle and easy supply to their forwards. Overwhelmed in the back half, the Hawks conceded five goals to one in the third term and Williams took a 13.7 (85) to 8.14 (62) advantage at the final break.

Another quick session of Williams goals gave them a controlling lead early in the fourth as Narrogin only managed one final term goal to the Cats’ four, giving them the 17.14 (116) to 9.15 (69) win.

Williams’ Myles Bolger capitalised on his side’s forward line supply, finishing with three goals, while Panizza, Vellios, Khalvin Cowcher and Nick Panizza all finished with two majors.

Matty Abraham was the only Hawk other than Hill to kick multiple goals, finishing with two.

Wickepin fight back

Wickepin battled back after a scrappy start to come from behind and claim the four points against Wagin last Saturday.

Wagin’s well-structured defences forced Wickepin to make costly turnovers, giving the home side a 8.6 (54) to 5.4 (34) lead at half-time.

Wickepin turned it around in the second half with a stronger effort around the contest and a better forward structure. The home side kicked seven goals to one after the main break, handing them a comfortable 12.14 (86) to 9.9 (63) victory.

With three goals, Jaxon Ramsay was named best on ground for the Warriors alongside Fraser Wittwer and Ryan Melvin.

Aiden Omodie and Mitch Walker finished with two goals each.

Michael Seeds booted three goals for Wagin, while Andrew Vawser was the Bulldogs’ best.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails