Supercars promotes from within for new CEO
A global search has led to Supercars appointing a new chief executive from within their own ranks, with long-serving chief operating officer Shane Howard promoted to the top job.
Howard has been appointed as the replacement for New Zealander Sean Seamer, who announced in December he was quitting the role to take up a job in the United States after four years at the helm of Australia's touring car series.
Gold Coast-based executive Howard has been a part of Supercars management for almost 20 years, having first worked with the category at the 1997 Bathurst 1000.
Hand picked by former CEO and Supercars owner Tony Cochrane in 2001 to head up the championship's events arm, Howard was a founding member of the Supercars' commission in 2011 and has been overseeing the competition's event management and motorsport operations in recent times.
"Our goal is to move forward and continue to innovate and expand our events as well as our footprint in media and the digital landscape," Howard said.
"I share the passion of our staff, teams, sponsors and key stakeholders who want to see the sport continue to grow."
Howard is the first appointment under the new ownership structure of Supercars, which was bought by a consortium led by Melbourne-based entrepreneur Barclay Nettlefold late last year.
Howard said working alongside the new owners, known as Racing Australia Consolidated Enterprises (RACE), was something he was excited about being part of.
"The fans have always been at the heart of what we do," he said.
"I am excited about our future under the new ownership group and have full confidence in our management team that is experienced in delivering world-class events for one of the top touring car categories in the world."
The 2022 Supercars championship starts on March 4-6 with the Newcastle 500, with Howard set to start in his new role on February 1.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails