VideoSydney Swans star Isaac Heeney has been questioned by detectives as part of a police investigation into an alleged sexual assault at the team's Pullman East Melbourne hotel.

Sydney Swans vice-captain Isaac Heeney is now at the centre of the police investigation into an alleged sex assault at the team’s East Melbourne hotel.

With the AFL now poised to punish the players involved, 7NEWS chief AFL reporter Mitch Cleary has confirmed that the 30-year-old Swans poster boy is the only player who attended a police station to speak with detectives.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Isaac Heeney questioned over alleged sex assault

Heeney voluntarily attended the police station on Monday.

No charges have been laid and 7NEWS is not suggesting Heeney is under investigation by police or has been implicated in any wrongdoing, just that he is assisting with inquiries.

Read more...

The 30-year-old three-time All-Australian is the pin-up boy for Sydney’s Academy and, indeed, for the AFL in the Harbour City.

Camera IconSteffie Waters and partner Isaac Heeney are regular posters on social media. Credit: Instagram/@SteffieWaters

He has almost 250 AFL games to his name, is a multiple best-and-fairest winner, is aligned with big-name sponsors, and recently released a children’s book.

He also regulary posts photos of himself with his fiancee Steffie Waters.

Cleary said he’s the only one of the Swans players called to speak to officers from the sexual crimes squad at West Melbourne police station.

“Multiple stakeholders I’ve spoken to today are expecting a Swans statement in the next 24 hours,” Cleary told 7NEWS.

“That will see at least the four players identified not to be eligible for selection for at least this weekend’s game against North Melbourne, with Nick Blakey’s spot also in question.

“Now, those players were spoken to by Swans officials offsite away from the club today to ascertain their timeline of events from Sunday night into Monday morning. That is a separate investigation to the one currently being undertaken by Victoria Police that remains ongoing.”

The other players expected to ruled out of selection are Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice.

Officially, Victoria Police have not formally interviewed anyone and the sexual crime squad has taken charge of the investigation.

It is understood Heeney did not fly back to Sydney, but returned home via a car.

Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.

The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night (after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG) because they could not return to Sydney due to Sydney Airport’s 11pm curfew.

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich on Monday afternoon confirmed several players had been involved in an “alleged incident”.

On Tuesday morning, coach Dean Cox briefly spoke to media outside of Sydney’s headquarters for the first time since the news broke.

“Obviously extremely disappointed with what’s happened, and understand the questions and we’ll update as we gather more information,” Cox said.

Luke Hodge, one of the greatest AFL captains of the modern era, has questioned Sydney’s famed ‘Bloods’ culture following the Swans’ sexual assault investigation.

Camera IconHeeney is a club leader and the pin-up boy for Sydney’s Academy. Credit: AFL Photos via Getty Images

A four-time premiership player at Hawthorn, Hodge believes the players involved in the scandal should be stood down.

“They have got to stand them down until they are either cleared or more information comes out,” Hodge said on Tuesday.

Hodge believes Sydney’s leaders would be asking serious questions of the culture, with several players out until the early hours of Monday morning following Sunday evening’s win over last-placed Essendon.

“The big question that comes as a leader is, you have to be hard on these guys because you are trying to set a culture and as a captain or as a coach, you have got all these younger guys that are coming through that have to follow the culture from the older guys,” Hodge said.

“This is where you sit back with a massive question mark — have we given too much trust to these players, if they think this is OK to do on a Sunday night in Melbourne?

“They’ve got the ‘Bloods’ culture ... that’s fractured at the moment, that Bloods culture, ‘we’ll do anything for one another.”

The Swans have already locked in a home qualifying final ahead of their final regular-season match against North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday.

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service: 1800 211 028

- With AAP

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails