Camera IconThe Hit Network's Christie with Anthony Albanese. Credit: Hit100.9

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese is facing a pile-on from outraged domestic violence advocates over dismissive remarks he made about better protecting female victims, including his claim that a Royal Commission would do nothing “besides fund lawyers”.

Former Home and Away star Christie Hayes blasted Mr Albanese for his “tone-deaf” and “dismissive” comments made during an interview on her breakfast radio show for Hit 100.9 in Hobart.

“What’s your government doing to make serious change in this country so that we eradicate this violence against women?” Hayes began by asking the Prime Minister during Monday’s pre-recorded exchange.

“Well there’s no place for violence against women in our society, we have $4.4 billion we’re throwing at this,” Mr Albanese responded.

“Every single woman who suffers this fate is one too many. We’re throwing everything at this, but we know the government can’t tackle it alone. It’s up to men to talk to other men about it and our society to say ‘no, this is not acceptable’.”

Read more...
Camera IconThe Hit Network's Dan & Christie with Anthony Albanese. Credit: Hit100.9

Hayes, who has previously opened-up about her experience with domestic violence, reminded Mr Albanese that 27 women had been killed so far this year and said he needed to continue talking about the scourge.

The on-air exchange took a very heated turn when the radio host raised The Red Heart Movement’s petition for a Royal Commission into the killing of Australian women and girls, which has received more 90,000 signatures in support.

Mr Albanese responded dismissively: “There’s calls for a royal commission about everything…” but Hayes fired back: “Well, I think deaths of women is pretty paramount. Wouldn’t you say?”

“They are,” Mr Albanese responded.

“But you have to work out what a royal commission is going to do besides fund lawyers,” Mr Albanese said.

The PM’s comments came after a devastating weekend of domestic and family violence around the nation with a woman in her 60s found dead at a remote home in Tasmania on Friday, in what police believe is an apparent murder-suicide.

Does he want our women to be killed? No. Does he want to do anything about it? No.

A 29-year-old woman was found dead on the same day at a home in Werribee in Melbourne’s south-west, with the body of a 31-year-old man found nearby.

Then, on Tuesday, a 47-year-old man was charged with murder after police discovered the body of a 46-year-old woman and two boys aged 12 and four inside a Sydney home on Monday night.

Since the radio interview, the Prime Minister has been condemned for his remarks, including by The Red Heart Movement’s founder Sherele Moody.

“The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese dismissed the need for a Royal Commission into Femicid, saying it was a waste of money and time,” Mrs Moody said.

“It’s nice to know dead women do not matter to him.”

Shadow Attorney General Michaelia Cash was outraged by the disparaging remarks by the Prime Minister, who only relented and committed to a royal commission into the Bondi terror attack on December 14 which claimed 16 innocent lives, after sustained community anger.

“Australians expect the Prime Minister to meet this crisis with urgency and humility. What they got was dismissiveness and a lecture about lawyers making money out of Royal Commissions,” Senator Cash said.

“The Prime Minister should explain if he thinks the Bondi Royal Commission is only going to fund lawyers.

“The Coalition believes, unequivocally that the purpose of the Bondi Royal Commission is to stamp out antisemitism and make sure the worst terrorist attack on our soil doesn’t happen again.

“Mr Albanese should explain to the families of the Bondi victims what he thinks.”

Hayes has levelled more anger towards Mr Albanese calling him ‘very tone-deaf and so out of touch’ in a media interview about her radio clash.

“Does he want our women to be killed?,” she said.

“No. Does he want to do anything about it? No.”

The radio show host said Albanese’s comments felt especially flippant, given the timing so close to the events over the weekend.

“I was actually shaking,” she said.

“I just thought, ‘Wow, we’ve just had this true tragedy here and it’s not even on his radar’. It should be a fresh wound, and it doesn’t feel like it is whatsoever.

“We’re talking about murder, regular murder of women. Can you imagine if a man was being killed every four days by a woman? I mean, it wouldn’t happen.

“I wondered if he would say something like this in person to a son or a daughter who had lost their mother to violence from a partner or ex-partner.”

Hayes said she accepted that some requests for Royal Commissions might not stack-up, but she didn’t believe there was any argument that could justify not holding one into the deaths of woman and girls from domestic and family violence.

“A crisis of femicide in Australia... I don’t care how much it costs or how much time goes into it,” she said.

“There should be nothing on Earth that we’re not doing to try and get to the bottom of it. If it’s a royal commission, then so be it.

“At least that’s something you could do. Particularly when 90,000 people have signed a petition so far. So don’t just dismiss it like it’s nothing.”

Late on Tuesday, in an attempt to try and get ahead of growing community outrage over his remarks, the Prime Minister announced his government would strengthen security for Jewish cultural events and prioritise support for the victims of the Bondi attack.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails